Most of us are looking for less stress in our busy lives. Check out these 5 beneficial ways to “stress eat”…
|Most of us want less stress in our busy lives. Check out these 5 beneficial ways to “stress eat”:|
1. Reduce the “core four”: 1. sugar, 2. dairy, 3. gluten, and 4. high omega 6 oils (found in processed foods) for a healthier gut. A strong gut/brain connection links food to mental health. Increase nutrient-rich oysters, mood-boosting green salads, wild seafood, fresh herbs & cruciferous veggies (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower).
2. Top up your magnesium: Magnesium, essential to over 300 functions in our body, is a common deficiency. This calming mineral alleviates anxiety, and as a bonus, the glycinate form helps you sleep!
3. Try a B-complex vitamin as an all-star mood booster: Folate (leafy greens, liver, legumes) is critical for mental health. And B-12, found in meat, eggs, and seafood, also boosts “happiness” neurotransmitters.
4. Zen out with L-theanine: L-theanine, an amino acidin green tea, effectively stimulates brain-calming activity. For a caffeine-free option, L-theanine (200 mg taken twice daily), is like “meditation in a capsule”.
5. Dial up the adaptogen: Ashwagandha provides a natural way to regulate the body’s responses to stress. A study found it reduced anxiety by 44%! Take it in a morning smoothie, or in an herbal blend with other calming adaptogens like rhodiola and reishi mushroom.
Small, conscious upgrades in nutrition become restorative over time.